Dress Like a Grown Up
We all know that you can tell our age by our driver’s license. What you might not realize is that at times people can tell our age by our wardrobe too. Now that you are grown, it is important that you dress like a grown man. Here is a quick look at the essentials that you will need.
- You will need at least one good suit. It needs to fit well too. Grown men in suits that don’t fit well just do not go together.
2. Spend the money on a pair of jeans that will show off your assets. You need something with a fit that is slim, a construction that is sturdy and a dark wash. If you have all of those things then you will be able to wear them nearly anywhere.
3. When it is cold, you need a good fitting overcoat…not a puffy coat. You need something that will still look good whether you have on layered clothing under it or even just your pajamas.
4. Shoes – athletic shoes are for the gym. Get a pair of chukka boots made from leather. These are comfortable and can be worn with nearly anything.
5. Realize that basketball shorts are not always appropriate. Keep them on the court and not in public outings.
6. Upgrade the T-shirts. Let go of the ones with sayings on them and opt for ones in solid colors like olive, gray and black.
7. If you are going to wear two different patterns, learn how to do it right. As a rule of thumb, the patterns should contrast in their size. For example, you might wear a fine gingham tie with a shirt that features a larger plaid. The result is a balanced look that doesn’t clash and it shows thought.
8. The little things mean so much. Check out the next stylishly dressed guy you see and you will notice that he has paid attention to the smaller details… especially when it comes to suits. Spend the money on the cuff links, a tie bar and the pocket square. They are worth it.
9. Throw out the nylon messenger bag and go for a basic leather briefcase.
10. Iron your clothes. Make them wrinkle free.
11. Trade the younger jewelry for grown up choices. Lose the piercings, dog tags, string bracelets and pooka shells and go for a nice watch or a leather bracelet.